David Ogilvy lived from 1911-1999, and WPP acquired his agency in 1989.
- 1850: Mather's was founded in Fleet Street, London by Edmund Mather.
- 1888: Edmund's son, Harley Mather, took Herbert Crowther into partnership, forming Mather & Crowther.
- 1893: S H Benson was founded and registered as a limited company.
- 1935: Francis Ogilvy hired his younger brother for nine bucks a week at Mather & Crowther.
- 1936: Mather & Crowther sent David Ogilvy (1911-1999) abroad to study American advertising techniques for one year. Later on, with investment from S H Benson, Ogilvy started his own agency.
- 1948: Agency opened as Hewitt, Ogilvy, Benson & Mather (HOB&M).
- 1953: Hewitt Ogilvy Benson and Mather became Ogilvy, Benson & Mather.
- 1964: Ogilvy, Benson & Mather merged with Mather & Crowther Ltd. of London to become Ogilvy & Mather International.
- 1966: Ogilvy & Mather International or O&M became the first advertising agency to go public, both the London and New York stock exchanges.
- 1971: S H Benson Ltd London merged with Ogilvy & Mather.
- 1985: Ogilvy & Mather International Inc. became the Ogilvy Group.
- 1989: WPP Group acquired the agency in 1989
Visit here for more true Marketing and Advertising Trivia.
I am a Forensic Marketing Expert, Advertising/Marketing consultant with Londre Marketing Consultants, LLC plus I teach Marketing and Advertising. I own a copyright for this concept, the Nine P’s/9 P's ©2007, which augments the Marketing Mix and 4P’s by the American Marketing Association, Neil Borden and Jerome McCarthy in the study and practices of Marketing. It helps identify marketing problems in a number of areas and helps develop marketing's objectives, strategies, tactics and solutions. I consult and teach using the concepts and practices of the Nine P's/9P's of Marketing.
In the study and practice of Marketing, Marketing and Brand Managers develop plans, strategies and tactics. The Nine P’s include these important components:
- People (Segmentation and Targeting)
- Place (Distribution)
For more on ideas, concepts and Marketing solutions: Go to LondreMarketing.com and look under “Articles and Resources” and the 9P's/Nine P's ©2007. Specifically you will find them detailed at 9P's/Nine P's.