Under one of my nine P's of Marketing is "Promotion." With "Promotion," there are eight (8) major, strategic components or communication elements which are personal and non-personal communication activities. Advertising or a spot in the Super Bowl, Oscars or in the Grammys is only one of them. Plus there are different media with advertising.
These are the activities that communicate the merits of the overall product include:
- Personal Selling/ Sales Force: Sales persons
- Listen more than you talk. People who listen more, learn more, plus helps you position your service/product/solution or offering.
- Advertising: There's an expression "It is only creative if the product or service sells." I wanted to add "It is only good media spending if it sells."
- Sales Promotion
- Collateral Materials
- Direct Marketing (also referred to as Action or Direct Response Advertising)
- Interactive/Internet/Web, Digital Media, Social Media:
- Events and Experiences
- Public Relations/PR
- Evaluate the eight different elements under Promotion and your brand's practices. Ask is there a better way? A different promotional mix. There has to be a better way.
- What are your costs in dollars and manpower or person power? Ask "Is there a different way or ways to budget?"
- Look at different strategic partners? Their costs?
- To whom should you target and promote? Under "People/"Targeting, target market, audience with media falls here. Have you noticed that you may watch what you want to watch in TV programing when you want to watch it and anywhere, any screen? That affects media planning.
- You can differentiate with price. Discounting? Special sales? What economic and discount levels should you offer? Look at revenue versus costs.
- What form or combination of promotion should you offer? Features?
- How frequent? Add media planning here.
Visit here for plenty of insights and examples into Marketing, the nine P's, targeting or "People," product and services, promotion, pricing, and advertising strategies. Plus true, researched marketing insights and advertising trivia.
For more on insights, ideas, concepts and Marketing solutions: Go to londremarketing.com and look under “Articles and Resources” and the 9P’s/Nine P’s ©2007. Specifically you will find them detailed at 9P’s/Nine P’s.