Donald Sterling will probably be asked to sell the team by the other NBA owners. In the world of sport sponsorships, endorsements and advertising under both "Promotion" and "Presentation," in the 9P’s of Marketing.
It's a business and Marketing mess for the Clippers organization and the NBA. In so many ways...
Which sponsors have left or on break from the Clippers? (updated list)
- CarMax (Used car dealer, nine-year sponsorship of Clippers)
- Kia Motors America (Said it was "suspending" its "advertising and sponsorship activations with the Clippers.")
- Chumash Casino Resorts
- Virgin America
- Red Bull
- Lumber Liquidators
- Yokohama Tires
- State Farm Insurance
- Mercedes-Benz dealers
Sponsorships fall under Promotion and Presentation in the 9P's of Marketing. In the 9P’s of Marketing, one of the P’s is "Presentation." This “P” is the act of presenting any of the different 9P’s© to your customers, the federation, suppliers, wholesalers, retailers, sales force, marketing intermediaries, clients, employees, partners, and to the entire Olympic audience. They are symbols or images that represent something; a descriptive or persuasive account (as a sales person of the product or service). Something set forth for the attention of mind.
Unfortunately it's a big negative in this example for the Clippers in the short-term. Many, including fans, players, arena workers, support staff, parking attendants, restaurants, agents, future NBA players, and more. They fall under "People" in the 9P's of Marketing.
It's tough out there in Marketing decision making. Visit here for more insights and true Marketing and Advertising Trivia.
I am a senior Forensic Marketing Expert, Advertising/Marketing consultant with Londre Marketing Consultants, LLC plus I teach Marketing and Advertising. I own a copyright for this concept, the Nine P’s/9 P's ©2007, which augments the Marketing Mix (Product, Price, Promotion and Place) or the 4P’s by the American Marketing Association, Neil Borden and Jerome McCarthy in the study and practices of Marketing.
The Nine P's/9P's help identify marketing problems in a number of areas and help develop marketing’s objectives, strategies, tactics and solutions. The Nine P's are insightful. In Marketing. the "Customer," or potential customers are king, but are missing in the 4P's.
I consult and teach using the concepts and practices of the Nine P's/9P's of Marketing.
In the study and practice of Marketing, Marketing and Brand Managers develop plans, strategies and tactics. The Nine P’s include these important components:
- People (Segmentation and Targeting)
- "People" or targeting has almost always been left out of the traditional "Marketing Mix." Almost every diagram includes the four P's with "Consumer" or "People" or "Potential Buyers" in the middle of the circle. There needs to be more focus on the "Customer," or "People."
- In this example I am using the Los Angeles Clippers who came from San Diego and from Buffalo.
- "People," market segments utilizing demographics, geographics, psychographics, behavioral characteristics and technographics are a vital component of the 9P's. Once a target market is chosen, the organization can develop its marketing strategies to target this market segment. There are still questions: Can the segments be accessed?
- Marketing strategies need to be adapted for the different tiers or segments. Instead of viewing the market as a uniform group of customers with similar potential, the firm needs to view them as distinct groups or segments with differing potential.
- Place (Distribution)