Under the nine P's of Marketing, I'd file this under Promotion, Presentation and Planning.
There are images of their unique mascot all over campus. Students who have just graduated ride one of the statues.
Fifty years of ...anteaters.
UC Irvine's mascot is an "anteater," and won 56% of the campus vote back in November 1965. And surprisingly or not surprisingly "None of the Above" came in second in the voting by the students.
Give credit or no credit to its creation or being added to the ballet by two UCI water polo players.
Fifty years after the vote UCI's anteater took first place in a Madness Challenge of mascots by mashable.
Here's another example. Sadly the mascot fot University of Texas die this month. He was called Bevo XIV, the Texas longhorns mascot. Bevo XIV died in his sleep. He had been retired after diagnosed with bovine leukemia. The school is now searching for Bevo XV.
Visit here for more insights and true Marketing and Advertising Trivia.
I am a senior Forensic Marketing Expert, Advertising/Marketing consultant with Londre Marketing Consultants, LLC plus I teach Marketing and Advertising. I own a copyright for this concept, the Nine P’s/9 P's ©2007, which augments the Marketing Mix (Product, Price, Promotion and Place) or the 4P’s by the American Marketing Association, Neil Borden and Jerome McCarthy in the study and practices of Marketing.
The Nine P's/9P's help identify marketing problems in a number of areas and help develop marketing’s objectives, strategies, tactics and solutions. The Nine P's are insightful. In Marketing. the "Customer," or potential customers are king, but are missing in the 4P's.
I consult and teach using the concepts and practices of the Nine P's/9P's of Marketing.
In the study and practice of Marketing, Marketing and Brand Managers develop plans, strategies and tactics. The Nine P’s include these important components:
- The voting took place by the students.
- It's about Segmentation and Targeting; seasonality would fall under here too.
- "People" or targeting has almost always been left out of the traditional "Marketing Mix." Almost every diagram includes the four P's with "Consumer" or "People" or "Potential Buyers" in the middle of the circle. There needs to be more focus on the "Customer," or "People."
- "People," market segments utilizing demographics, geographics, psychographics, behavioral characteristics and technographics are a vital component of the 9P's. Once a target market is chosen, the organization can develop its marketing strategies to target this market segment.
- There are still questions: Can the segments be accessed?
- I'd say the mascot is part of promotion in the 9P's of marketing.
- Marketing strategies need to be adapted for the different tiers or segments, of which there are plenty on and off a college campus.
- Instead of viewing the market as a uniform group of customers with similar potential, the firm needs to view them as distinct groups or segments with differing potential.
- Place (Distribution)
- Eight (8) major, strategic components): The communication element includes personal and non-personal communication activities. Activities that communicate the merits of the overall product, which include:
o Should we promote?
o Look at consistency of message and messaging, especially with and within the different targets/elements/components/parts.o Personal Selling/ Sales Forceo Advertisingo Sales Promotiono Collateral Materialso Direct Marketing (also referred to as Action or Direct Response Advertising)o Interactive/Internet/Web, Digital Media, Social Mediao Events and Experiences-o Public Relations
- What should we promote?
- To whom should we promote?
- What economic and discount levels should we offer?
- What form of promotion should we offer? What features?
- How frequent?
- Partners: It is important to partner with firms that have similar corporate philosophies, who have agreed upon objectives and strategies.
- Look at “real” product and service experiences. I place “events and experiences” also under Promotion. UCI presents the mascot in numerous ways. o While traditional marketing is based on target audience impressions/ views/ clicks/ exposure, experimental marketing involves engaging with consumers. Enabling consumers and “allowing” them to feel the brand.o The “P” or “Presentation” is the act of presenting any of the different 9P’s© and/or components to your customers, suppliers, wholesalers, retailers, sales force, marketing intermediaries, clients, employees, partners, and/or others.§ They may be symbols or images that represent something; a descriptive or persuasive account (as a sales person of the product or service). Something set forth for the attention of mind.
For more on ideas, concepts and Marketing solutions: Go to LondreMarketing.com and look under “Articles and Resources” and the 9P’s/Nine P’s ©2007. Specifically you will find them detailed at 9P’s/Nine P’s.