The Super Bowl and Academy Awards/Oscars are both long events on TV, the Super Bowl with the long half-time event and the Oscars.
I show and comment on the TV spots for both. I was at Pepperdine University in February at their IMC class and I was at Cerritos College's TV Production class last Saturday commenting on the Super Bowl spots. The good, bad and ugly of Marketing planning, advertising, creativity, People or Targeting, costs and much more.
I use the Nine P's of Marketing as a helpful aid for the students and always mention "It's Not Creative Unless It Sells." They receive handouts of the 9P's of Marketing. It's a good lecture with plenty of student input and dialog.
Last night was three hours and twenty minutes for the Oscars. By the way Chris Rock should come back. He did promote Kevin Hart for next year.
Actiually the Super Bowl delivers more men, but the Super Bowl delivers more women too.
This is from Nielsen Research and their live-same-day data. Yesterday's Oscars captured just 10.4 % (18 to 49 year olds) of the potential TV whether they were on or off.
There was an average audience of 34.3 million viewers. Down significantly from last year. Was it the boycott? Was it the quality of movies? Probably both.
Nielsen reports that 52 million women watched CBS' Super Bowl L or 50 broadcast. It's not close with the Super Bowl grossing the number of overall Oscars viewers, both male and female, by 52%.
Visit here for more insights into Marketing and Advertising strategies and true Marketing and Advertising Trivia.
I am a senior Forensic Marketing Expert, Advertising/Marketing consultant with Londre Marketing Consultants, LLC plus I teach Marketing and Advertising.
I own a copyright for this concept, the Nine P’s/9 P's of Marketing ©2007, which augments the Marketing Mix (Product, Price, Promotion and Place) or the 4P’s by the American Marketing Association, Neil Borden and Jerome McCarthy in the study and practices of Marketing.
The Nine P's/9P's of Marketing help identify marketing problems and opportunities in a number of areas and help develop marketing’s objectives, strategies, tactics and solutions. The Nine P's can be insightful.
In Marketing. the "Customer," or potential customers are king, but are missing in the 4P's.
I consult and teach using the Marketing concepts and practices of the Nine P's/9P's of Marketing.
In the study and practice of Marketing, Marketing and Brand Managers develop plans, strategies and tactics.
The Nine P’s include these important components:
The Nine P’s include these important components:
- It's about Segmentation and Targeting.
- "People" or targeting has almost always been left out of the traditional "Marketing Mix." Almost every diagram includes the four P's with "Consumer" or "People" or "Potential Buyers" in the middle of the circle. There needs to be more focus on the "Customer," or "People."
- "People," market segments utilizing demographics, geographics, psychographics, behavioral characteristics and technographics are a vital component of the 9P's of Marketing. Once a target market is chosen, the organization can develop its marketing strategies to target this market segment.
- Product and Services
- Place (Distribution)
- Eight (8) major, strategic components: The communication elements include personal and non-personal communication activities. Activities that communicate the merits of the overall product, which include:
- Personal Selling/ Sales Force
- Sales Promotion
- Collateral Materials
- Direct Marketing (also referred to as Action or Direct Response Advertising
- Interactive/Internet/Web, Digital Media, Social Media
- Events and Experiences-
- Public Relations
- Strategic questions under Promotion::
- What should you promote?
- To whom should you promote?
- What economic and discount levels should you offer?
- What form of promotion should you offer? Features?
- How frequent?
- It is important to partner with firms that have similar corporate philosophies, who have agreed upon objectives and strategies.
- The “P” or “Presentation” is the act of presenting any of the different 9P’s© and/or components to your customers, suppliers, wholesalers, retailers, sales force, marketing intermediaries, clients, employees, partners, and/or others.
- Look at “real” product and service experiences. I place “events and experiences” also under Promotion. While traditional marketing is based on target audience impressions/ views/ clicks/ exposure, experimental marketing involves engaging with consumers. Enabling consumers and “allowing” them to feel the brand.
- Those intense, driving or overmastering feelings, emotions in the planning, developing, pricing, promoting, partnering, selling and overall marketing of products or services.
For more on ideas, concepts and Marketing solutions: Go to londremarketing.com and look under “Articles and Resources” and the 9P’s/Nine P’s ©2007. Specifically you will find them detailed at 9P’s/Nine P’s.